Sunday, June 13, 2010

Unexpected Light Amidst Darkness

Once I was asked “Who is the most famous person you have ever known?”
“Jesus Christ” was my instant response.
“No really, I’m being serious.” said my Christian friend.

I have beheld the face of our Lord this week. His light I have seen quite literally in the darkest and least expected places.
First I saw Him at Soi 4 as I was sitting, weary and exhausted, on a lonely bar stool facing a busy street. A bar girl I have often seen working but never had a chance to speak to, with the most beautiful sweet face and kind eyes came to me with a gift. She saw me looking tired and discouraged and brought me my favorite food in all Thailand, the sweet rose-apple. She came to me and said “Marwy, you are hungry? I bring this for you. We are friends Marwy? I like you. We will be friends?” She knew my name and extended me friendship and love even though I had done nothing to earn or deserve her gift or kindness. In her unsuspecting and kind generosity, I saw the face of my Lord.

Again I saw his face, as I held the hand of a young man who is an X-monk, a Christian, and a hurting and struggling homosexual. Together we wept as we beheld the work of Our Lord in our lives and the paths we have walked and the struggles we have faced. I never believed I could have so much in common with a man from across the earth or form such a bond. But Christ’s love has no limits just as His grace and forgiveness know no bounds. He is the tie that holds us together in love and hope. All other ties may be severed, but never the one we have with and in Christ.

Next, I saw Him in the dark night sky and in deep waters as we casually floated through the heart of Thailand. His brilliant lights do not twinkle from the night sky alone. On this particular night His stars glimmered above while their beautiful reflections shimmered from the dark water and the light of millions of fireflies lit up the forest and banks on both sides of the river. The tiny glimmers of light pierced the darkness and taught me that Light is to be found where and when we least expect it. Just to drive home His point, occasionally He lit the entire night with a vivid light that split the sky and showered a spectrum of colors upon the entire world that I have never witnessed before.

Then, I saw him in the eyes and laughter of a dozen children and adults living together in what most would consider a run-down slum: laughing, splashing and enjoying the rising tide that came to wash their eager shores. With such hope and love amidst such poverty how could one not be encouraged and join in? They will spend their entire lives bathing in the river. I spent only a moment, yet it is a moment that will linger with me the rest of my life.

Finally, I saw Him in the heart of a tiny Thai girl as she sweetly sang “Jesus loves me and I love Him, for this I know.” It may not be quite the version we know and sing, but it was the same tune from a sister heart loving and praising her Lord.

This week I have beheld the face of my Lord. His Light shines over the face of the entire earth. Sometimes we cannot see it and other times we are so fortunate to catch glimpses. But it is always easier to see something when we are looking for it. I hope to keep my eyes open, for He is everywhere perceptibly and imperceptibly changing the face of this land and the territory of our hearts.

Psalm 19
The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
2Day to day pours forth speech,
And night to night reveals knowledge.
3There is no speech, nor are there words;
Their voice is not heard.
4Their line has gone out through all the earth,
And their utterances to the end of the world
In them He has placed a tent for the sun,
5Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber;
It rejoices as a strong man to run his course.
6Its rising is from one end of the heavens,
And its circuit to the other end of them;
And there is nothing hidden from its heat.
7The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.
10They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
11Moreover, by them Your servant is warned;
In keeping them there is great reward.
12Who can discern his errors? Acquit me of hidden faults.
13Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins;
Let them not rule over me;
Then I will be blameless,
And I shall be acquitted of great transgression.
14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an incredible experience. It's so easy to get caught up in things that bring you down but you are able to see the fullness of the situations. That'll be one of the things God uses in you to help reach those women. I'll continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete